Community & Parents
School Food & Procurement
Volunteers may be able to work with your school's nutrition services in a variety of ways to support school food procurement:
- Work with nutrition services to find farms with local products
- Hold taste tests of local foods and outreach in the cafeteria
- Help create a positive cafeteria environment
- Help make signage to highlight local products
- Help create or update a School Wellness Policy to include Farm to School
Education & School Gardens
Classroom volunteers are common in many schools, especially elementary schools. Volunteer to bring food, agriculture, and education activities or themes into students' classrooms, or volunteer and fundraise for the school garden.
Promotion and Outreach
Make sure your community knows what farm to school activities are happening at your school and district in the cafeteria, classroom, or school garden. Here's a few ways to be champion for farm to school in your community:
- Communicate with school administrators about the importance of farm to school, a training from the National Farm to School Network
- Talk with your school board about farm to school from ChangeLab Solutions
- Tell your story about farm to school effectively via social media or reach out to newspapers, blogs, TV, and radio.