News and Resources
Food and Drug Administration Resources
- Coverage and Exemptions/Exclusions Flowchart for farmers to determine if the PSR applies to their farm and/or food products.
- FDA Small Entity Compliance Guide is a guidance document that provides non-binding or legally enforceable recommendations from FDA for PSR implementation.
- What is "Rarely Consumed Raw" Produce? FDA clarifies how they developed the exhaustive list of "Rarely Consumed Raw" produce that are exempt from PSR.
- News on Agricultural Water (Subpart E): FDA continues to consider how it might simplify agricultural water standards.
- FDA Intends to Extend Compliance Dates for Agricultural Water Standards. In September 2017, FDA proposed to extend compliance dates for water to four years beyond a farm's general compliance date.
- Equivalent Testing Methodology for Agricultural Water. FDA has expanded the list of water testing methods allowable, and in July 2018 FDA announced that they have determined presence/absence test to be scientifically-valid for harvest and post-harvest water. See resource for allowable types of methods.
- FSMA Inflation Adjusted Cut Offs are relevant to farms where a full or qualified exemption may apply.
- Raw Manure under the FSMA Final Rule on Produce Safety is a Q&A with FDA on assessing risks with using raw manure as fertilizer and next steps for research.
- The PSR applies to operations that meet FDA's definition of a "farm." The definition is being reviewed for operations such as food hubs and packinghouses that do not fit into the definition precisely.
- Classification of Activities for Harvesting, Packing, Holding or Manufacturing/Processing for Farms and Facilities. Draft guidance that provides theoretical examples for what activities may fall under the FDA farm definition.
- Compliance extensions for certain businesses that do not meet the FDA farm definition.
- FDA TAN (Technical Assistance Network) tracks and addresses FSMA questions that can be submitted by industry, regulators, academia, consumers and others.
- Small Farm and Direct Marketing Handbook Factsheet, "Regulations for Food Safety FAQ on the Food Safety Modernization Act."
- WSDA Regional Markets Bridging the GAPs resources, including GAP/FSMA videos and manual, Bridging the GAPs: Opening Markets for Small, Mid-Sized, and Diversified Farms through GAP/GHP Education for Farmers and Auditors
Produce Safety Alliance Resources
- Electronic version of the PSA Grower Training Manual
- Records Required by the FSMA Produce Safety Rule are example recordkeeping templates of the primary documents required under the PSR.
- Labeled Sanitizers for Produce: Video tutorial.
- Food Safety Plan Writing Resources to get started with recordkeeping, policies and procedures.
- Sign up for the PSA general news and information listserv.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition's (NSAC) Am I affected by FSMA? flowchart and further information for farms and food businesses.
- The Northeast Center to Advance Food Safety (NECAFS) Clearinghouse aims to be a comprehensive listing for Produce Safety and Preventive Controls information. It includes publically-accessible FDA TAN responses that farms and resources people have submitted (sort directory by "TAN Question/Answer").
Recusos en Español
- Normas propuestas para la seguridad de productos
- Productos Agrícolas Frescos "Raramente Consumidos Crudos"
- Metodología de Ensayos Equivalentes para Agua de uso Agrícola
- WSDA Acercando Las - Buenas Prácticas Agrícolas: Buenas Prácitcas Agrícolas y Seguridad Alimentaria en la granja para explotaciones agricolas pequeñas, medianas y diversificadas de producción de frutas y vegetales
- Regla final para la Seguridad de Productos de la FDA: Exenciones y variaciones
- Manual para productores en español - Versión electrónica de divulgación de pubúlica
- Me afectan Las Nuevas Normas de Inocuidad Alimentaria segun el acta de modernizacion de incocuidad alimentaria? Un Diagrama de Flujo para Agricultores y Empresas de Alimentos